Wednesday 19 September 2012

extinct birds




another project on the go, is my series on extinct birds. some of the birds, almost nothing is known and most of my drawings are based on plates made from birds collected and described by naturalist explorers in the 1800s. in some cases I was able to look at specimens collected and now in museums. if you're able, the Natural History Museum in Paris has a hall filled with specimens of the worlds extinct animals, and is well worth a visit.
I think it's nice to remember the birds we lost, the world was a very different place once upon a time, and not so long ago really.

there are a few different products I'm working on in this series, a few still in progress, but I have finished two new pins to add to my extinct bird pin collection, the moho apicalis, formerly of Hawaii and the passenger pigeon of North America. for the whole collection of my extinct bird pins, check my Etsy shop here. check back over the next month or so as I hope to have some of the new products ready soon.



2 comments:

  1. I really love your birds and the extinct birds project concept! I believe that moho apicalis has become my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like him! I find it so hard to pick favorites, every day it is a new one!

    ReplyDelete